Getting Started

Due to the high volume of questions being asked, we have temporarily suspended new questions from being posted. Please browse the existing questions as you will most likely find your answer. Once we have answered the current topics we will allow new questions again.

Beta Carotene and Vit A?

Hello Lorna, I am considering taking MULTIsmart but before I do I have a couple of questions about the formula. Why is there both beta carotene AND Vit A? I thought that the body converted beta carotene into Vit A so by taking MUTLIsmart am I getting a "double whammy"? I already have quite a yellow/orange tinge to my skin, especially palms and soles (liver values are normal, I do not consume large quantities of carrots, yams, cantaloupe, etc.) and am concerned about excess beta carotene. Thank you

Save Changes
Posted 6/2/2012 10:26:36 AM
[deleted user]

Good question!

I would not worry about getting a "double whammy" from multismart. It is highly unlikely that you are converting all the beta carotene into Vitamin A. Any time the body converts nutrients, the conversion depends on many other factors. There are many things that can interfere with the process, such as a lack of enzymes, fat, or zinc. Many people have conditions that hinder the conversion; diabetes, low thyroid, poor function digestive track, to name a few.

Even if you had a perfect digestive system, the body only converts what it needs into vitamin A. On top of that, taking two packets of Lorna Mulitsmart contains 2500 IU of vitamin A and 15000 IU of Beta-carotene. The minimum recommended amount per day is 2310 IU for vit A, for women and 25000 IU for Beta-C. There is not enough of these nutrients in this product to overdose. Keep in mind that the RDA is the amount of vitamins/minerals needed to avoid nutrient deficiencies that cause disease, such as rickets and scurvy. They are not the amounts needed for optimal health.

See the below links to read more about how the conversion works.

Save Changes
Posted 6/4/2012 10:22:04 AM. Last edited 6/4/2012 10:25:08 AM

Creating links

There are two ways of creating links:
  • [Example]( produces a link like this: Example
  • The fully qualified address, like, will automatically be converted to a link.

Formatting Text

• You can make your text italic by surrounding it with * characters, *like this.*
  • Bold formatting is produced by surrounding your text with two stars, **like so**.
  • You can even ***use both at the same time***.

• You can make a bulleted list using stars, like this:

* First Item
    * Second Item
    * Third Item

• If you want a numbered list, just write it out like this:
    1. First Item
    2. Second Item
    3. Third Item

You can produce headers for your posts using the '#' symbol.
  • '#Main Heading Example' produces a top level heading.
  • '##Sub Heading Example' produces a sub level heading.
  • '###Small Heading Example' produces a small heading.